Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
Installation of Spotfire Analyst client fails with an error: "The installation failed due to an unknown problem."
The following error is thrown during Spotfire Analyst installation process:
Error message: The installation failed due to an unknown problem. See details for more information.
IOException at mscorlib:
Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\TIBCO\Spotfire Desktop\7.12.0\Modules\5b4b7f06-cbc6-479b-8c3f-26ab3986c591' is denied. (HRESULT: 80070005)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalMove(String sourceDirName, String destDirName, Boolean checkHost)
at Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.IOUtilities.MoveDirectory(String sourceDirName, String targetDirName)
at Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.CabInstaller.PerformInstallation(IProgressable progressable, String sourceFolderPath, String targetFolderPath, IEnumerable`1 moduleFolders, String modulesInUsePath, String starterExePath, LogDelegate log)
at Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.Program.DummyProgressHandler.Invoke(InvokeDelegate invocation)
at Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.Program.Main(String args)
This log output can be found in Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.log:
Exception occurred. System.IO.IOException: c 'C:\Users\sdoss\AppData\Local\TIBCO\Spotfire Desktop\7.12.0\Modules\416efcdc-fa42-43c7-8bbf-45354f48116e' is denied.
This can be caused by various anti-virus and endpoint protection programs running on the computer. One example is Cylance, which attempts to prevent viruses from being installed as opposed to removing them once they are present. Another possibility is Kaspersky, which protects computers from malware and suspicious program behavior. Try temporarily disabling these programs to see if the program can be installed successfully.
How to Troubleshoot this issue:
- Find out the name of the failing process (use Task Manager) with name similar to "setup-7.12exe…".
- Download and install Windows Process Monitor from Microsoft (http://sysinternals.com).
- Configure a Process Monitor monitoring task using "Add Task", process name begins with "setup".
- Run Spotfire client installation, as Windows Administrator.
- When installation process fails, do not close the setup job yet, first get logs. This procedure will create two log files from Spotfire installer and one from Process Monitor:
- C:\Users\stor\AppData\Local\Temp - TIBCO_Spotfire_Desktop_20<*>_000_TibcoSpotfire.log
- C:\Users\stor\AppData\Local\TIBCO\Spotfire Desktop\7.12.0 - Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.log
- Save the Process Monitor log file, then exit the failed installation process.
A review of log files should point to possible causes of the issue. For example, some TIBCO installation executables are named with .tmp file extensions, so they don’t have .exe extensions and might be prevented from running by some system monitoring applications. These .tmp files also change names every time installer is executed. Here is an example command line:
"C:\windows\Installer\MSI2CDB.tmp" /source:"C:\Users\stor\AppData\Local\TIBCO\Spotfire Desktop\7.12.0\Cabinets" /target:"C:\Users\stor\AppData\Local\TIBCO\Spotfire Desktop\7.12.0\Modules" /uilevel:5 /hideprogress /log:"C:\Users\stor\AppData\Local\TIBCO\Spotfire Desktop\7.12.0\Spotfire.Dxp.SetupLauncher.log"