Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
TIBCO Spotfire analysis (.dxp) fails to open with the error "The file is not a valid DXP file"
When you try to open a DXP file in the TIBCO Spotfire Analyst Client, it may fail to open and returns the error "The file is not a valid DXP file". For example:
Error message: Unable to read the file xyz.dxp. The file is not a valid DXP file. TargetInvocationException at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. (HRESULT: 80131604) Stack Trace: at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.ApplicationModel.ProgressService.ExecuteWithProgressCancelable(String title, String description, ProgressOperation operation, Boolean showCancelButton) at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FormsApplicationThread.ExecutePromptingOperation(String title, String description, PromptingApplicationInvocation promptingApplicationInvocation) at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.RichAnalysisApplication.Open(String filePath, DocumentOpenSettings documentOpenSettings) at Spotfire.Dxp.Main.Program.<>c__DisplayClass10.<OpenFile>b__f(LoadCallbackParameters parameters) at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Framework.Utilities.LoadFileHelper.LoadFile(LoadCallback callback, LoadCallbackParameters parameters, Form owningForm) DxpFileFormatException at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework: Exception of type 'Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.DxpFileFormatException' was thrown. (HRESULT: 80131500) Stack Trace: at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.DxpDocumentFileReader.RequireEntry(ZipReader zipReader, String entryName) at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.Persistence.DxpDocumentFileReader.LoadDocument(Stream docStream, List`1 trustedScriptHashes, PersistenceManager persistenceManager, IServiceProvider serviceProvider) at Spotfire.Dxp.Application.AnalysisApplication.<OpenDocumentFile>d__f.MoveNext() at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FormsApplicationThread.<>c__DisplayClass1.<ExecutePromptingOperation>b__0() at Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Application.FormsProgressService.ProgressThread.DoOperationLoop()
This can be caused by an issue which allowed incomplete or corrupt dxp files to get saved to disk or to the TIBCO Spotfire library. There is a fix that is released in the TIBCO Spotfire Server and TIBCO Spotfire client hotfixes which introduces validation during saving to prevent this issue. The related fixed issues are:
- TSS-22405 - TIBCO Spotfire now validates transferred content while opening items in the Spotfire library as well as transferred data when using Information Services if both client and server supports that.
- TS-54780, TS-54773 - TIBCO Spotfire now validates transferred content while opening or saving items in the Spotfire library as well as transferred data when using Information Services if both client and server supports that.
To avoid this issue moving forward, apply the hotfixes relevant to your Spotfire version on both the TIBCO Spotfire Server and the TIBCO Spotfire Analyst client:
- TIBCO Spotfire Server:
- TSS_7.12.0 HF-001 or higher
- TSS_7.11.0 LTS HF-004 or higher
- TSS_7.10.0 HF-004 or higher
- TSS_7.9.0 HF-004 or higher
- TSS_7.8.1 HF-010 or higher
- TIBCO Spotfire Analyst client
- TS_126.96.36.199 HF-001 or higher
- TS_188.8.131.52 LTS HF-004 or higher
- TS_184.108.40.206 HF-007 or higher
- TS_220.127.116.11 HF-008 or higher
- TS_18.104.22.168 HF-012 or higher