Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
Getting Started with Package Builder
This article describes how to get started with the Package Builder, used to build Spotfire extensions that are part of the Spotfire SDK. Spotfire Package Builder provides a framework for developing, debugging, packaging and deploying extensions to Spotfire. It is an important tool when adding custom capabilities to the Spotfire platform. The Package Builder executable is located in the Package Builder folder of the Spotfire SDK distribution, along with the Spotfire.Dxp.PackageBuilder.exe.config file.
Below are the steps required to configure the package builder and adding a sample extension project.
- Run the Package Builder executable. You will find the Package Builder at ..\TIB_spotdev_<version>_win\SDK\Package Builder\Spotfire.Dxp.PackageBuilder.exe.
- Add your distribution "File > Add TIBCO Spotfire Distribution" and locate your Modules folder within the Spotfire installation path which matches your SDK version. Example path: C:\Program Files (x86)\TIBCO\Spotfire\ <version>\Modules. The Spotfire Distribution files version must match the same version as the SDK version in order to avoid compilation errors.
- Press "Validate and Save" and make sure the configuration is valid.
- Next open and build the CustomToolsExample from the SDK Examples folder. This will create an assembly named SpotfireDeveloper.CustomTools.dll in \bin\AnyCPU\Debug.
- In Package Builder, select "Add..." and specify your project folder
- You should now be able to press 'Validate and Save' again and be presented with a green pass icon (See attached Filename: PackageBuilder.png). Also note that the Information field of Package Builder should list the custom tool in the 'AddIns' section.
- Select 'Run Configuration', which will now launch Spotfire with your extension.
- The Tools menu of Spotfire should now be updated with new items (See attached Filename:ToolsMenu.png).