Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
TIBCO Spotfire Statistics Services server jobs fails with error “java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to decrypt password”
TIBCO Spotfire Statistics Services (TSSS) server jobs fail with error “java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to decrypt password”, and the following error is seen in the SplusServer.log:
2016-11-10 10:14:38,826 | ERROR | | SplusMessageServerWrapper | JobExecutionThreadPool-29: Error occurred while trying to start engine service! Splus log: **** Engine execution output **** java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to decrypt password. at com.insightful.splusserver.encryption.PasswordEncryptor.decryptPassword(PasswordEncryptor.java:77) at com.insightful.splusserver.configuration.FilePropertyManager.getJMXPassword(FilePropertyManager.java:565) at com.insightful.splusserver.engine.splusengine.SplusMessageServer.getJMXPassword(SplusMessageServer.java:843)
This error is seen because the jmx password mentioned in the spserver.properties has gotten corrupt and is now unreadable. During installation of TSSS, the jmx user and password are initially defined. These values exist in the spserver.properties file with property name ‘jmxremote.username’ and ‘jmxremote.password’. The jmx password is saved in this file in encrypted format and it might be possible that this jmx password might become corrupted/unreadable, even during initial installation.
- Stop the TSSS service
- Backup the spserver.properties
- Open the spserver.properties file, and replace the encrypted password with the actual clear-text password. Close and save the file.
- Restart the TSSS server service
- Access the TSSS URL in a browser to verify the server has started successfully
- Open the spserver.properties fie to verify the password is now re-encrypted
- Execute a job on the TSSS server to verify jobs can now run again