Product: TIBCO Spotfire®
Is it possible to open analysis files created or edited with newer versions of Spotfire in older clients (are files backwards compatible)?
Yes, the backward compatibility in Spotfire makes it possible to open analyses that are created or edited in a future Spotfire version - up to 2 versions into the future (one mainstream release and one LTS release). For example, a file that was created in 11.4 LTS release, can be opened by 10.10 LTS and 11.3 clients.
Note: Features introduced in a newer version of Spotfire will not be available when the analysis is opened in the older version. Also note that, if you, in the older version of Spotfire, save an analysis that was created in a newer version, any features introduced in the newer version and used in the analysis, will be lost.
If Analyst client is not able to open a file that meets the criteria above, the most likely reason is because the end user is a member of a user group with "SaveCompatibilityVersion" option set to "False" (under Tools-> Administration Manager-> Group (where end user belongs to)-> Preferences-> Application-> ApplicationPreferences).
To open analysis file in the older versions without getting this error, the following steps should be performed:
1. Log into Spotfire Analyst client (current version where the analysis file was created) as an Administrator.
2. Go to Tools menu-> Administration Manager, select “Preferences” tab.
3. Click on the group that the user (who created the report) belongs to.
4. Under the “Preferences” tab, expand "Application" and select "ApplicationPreferences".
5. On the right hand side, select “SaveCompatibilityVersion” and set it to "True".
6. Save a copy of the file and try opening it in a supported older version. The file should open successfully.